Pull back the abdomen above and below
the navel. This is Uddiyana Bandha, it is like lion to the elephant for death.
Uddiyana Bandha is enumerated
as one of the three Bandhas and ten Mudras.
- Stand erect.
- Spread out the legs.
The distance between two legs should be 15" to 18".
forward, place hands on the thighs or knees and now exhale fully, hold the breath
- Expand the chest so that the abdomen would be drawn 'in and you
will feel that the upper portion of the abdomen is being pulled towards the ribs.
pulling it completely maintain for 5-10-15-20 seconds (according to your capacity).
- Now slowly relax the abdomen and stand erect after inhalation.
Benefits and Limitations:-
waist should not lean much while bending forward.
- The chest should
be expanded, shoulders bent a little.
- The legs should not be bent
more at the knees.
- Do not keep the abdomen tight. Let it relax.
- Always practise Uddlyana on an empty stomach.
can be practised sitting in Padmasana also.
- Removes constipation, invigorates digestion pressurises
the navel plexes, and help to make retention of breath stable.
- Do not
practise it if there is a complaint of headache.