Fixing the right foot on the left thigh
and the left (foot) on the right thigh, the big toes are to be held by both hands,
arms crossing behind the back, the chin to be fixed on the chest, and the tip
of the nose to be gazed at. This is known as Padmasana (Baddha) which destroys
(all) the diseases of Yogis.
Generally this Asana is called Baddha-Padmassi.
- Sit erect, stretch both the legs together, hands by the side, palms resting
on the ground, fingers together pointing forward.
- Slowly place one
leg (right) on the left thigh by holding toes of the leg by left hand and ankle
by the right.
- Similarly hold the toes of the other leg by right hand
and ankle by left.
- Now place it well on the right thigh.
both the hands at back like a scissor, hold the big toe of the right leg with
right hand and that of left leg with left hand.
- Place the chin on
the chest making Jugular knotch. Gaze should be nasal, This is baddha-padmasana.
- While retrurning back to the original position, straighten your head, release
the big toes, keep the hands by the side.
- Holding the left leg by
ankle remove it from the right thigh and stretch it in front.
remove the right leg from the left thigh, stretch it and come back to the original
Benefits and Limitations :-
- It is a further
development of simple Padmasana.
- Before practising Baddha-Padmasana
practise simple Padmasana well.
- In the beginning one knee might not
remain placed on the ground but by practise it can be achieved.
waist and chest erect.
- Gaze at the tip of nose.
- This Asana is useful in constipation and improves
- It helps in keeping the spine erect.
is beneficial in Arthritis.
- Those, feeling trouble in performing this
Asana should not force themselves.