Placing the right foot at the root of the left thigh,
encircling the (right) knee by the left leg, holding (the two feet by
the opposite hands), twisting the body and staying in this posture is
the Asana declared by Sri Matsyanatha.
Notes:- For the beginners this Asana is made
easy and named Ardha-Matsyendrasana. The only difference is that in Matsyendrasana
the folded leg is placed at the root of the thigh below abdomen, in Ardha-Matsyendrasana
it is placed by the side of the opposite buttock.
- Sit extending both the legs together in front, hands by the side, palms resting
on the ground. Fingers should remain together pointing forward.
the right leg at knee.Slowly set the right heel at the perineum.
folding the left leg, bringing it from above the right knee, place it by its side
on the ground. The knee of the left leg should remain towards sky.
bring the right hand on the left side of the left knee. The left knee should remain
at the left side of the right armpit.
- Now straighten the right hand
and hold the toe or ankle of the left leg.
- Twisting the body to the
left side, look backwards, place the left hand bringing it from the back on the
right thigh. Gaze should be towards back.
- While returning to the
original position first release the hand from the thigh and turn head forward.
- Now bring the back to normal position after loosening the right hand.
- Bring the left leg in original position.
- Now bring the right
leg also original position.
- Repeat it similarly from the other side
by folding the left leg first.
Benefits and Limitations
- Some persons may experience difficulty in practising it. If they cannot hold
the toes of the left by right hand they should hold the ankle.
that also is not possible then hold the knee.
- While twisting backward
twist the backbone turning well.
- Before resorting to the practice
of this Asana pracitse Vakrasana.
- It is very much useful in constipation and dyspepsia.
Asana improves liver efficiency and removes debility of kidney.
is very useful in diabetes.
- It is very beneficial for the muscles
of shoulder and back.
- Those suffering from stiffness in spine should
practise it very carefully.